our week started in narbonne where we collected the boat and were instructed on how to operate the locks (photos of these to follow later) on the canal. the brief introduction did not prepare us for the incredible experience it would all turn out to be. we were all expecting a relaxing holiday but it turned out to be a physically active one. tying up a 7 ton boat in a lock with water gushing out of massive iron gates is no easy task, especially when the wind is an added factor. each lock operator owns a dog and these little ones kept us company and certainly entertained us. jon was our captain but we all had a go at steering the boat and leslie proved to be the best boat parker ever. the men were seriously impressed. this is of course only one of the many reasons that i just love her as a friend. le somail was the first town were we tied up for the evening. we cleaned the boat and set out on our bicycles to enjoy the town. it was my favourite town along the entire route. perhaps it was because of the aroma of food and the sound of children's laughter that filled the streets as we rounded corner after corner, discovering little corridors and alley ways. perhaps it was because of the freedom in my heart. perhaps, perhaps... but as each sight filled my eyes, my heart expanded.
Friday, October 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




18 comments:
Each picture a story.
Lovely.
no fair that you have such amazing things and sites to photograph....no fair !
c'est un magnifique reportage en photos... lovely pictures with Claire special signature, how lucky to be there!!!!!!
Oooo, I'm loving this trip already! All that delicious texture, just gorgeous.
Can't wait for more...
What an adventure! Some wonderful photographs. I really like the one that you should title " Peeking at Lettuce".
like a book...
truly breathtaking
Beautiful photos!!! Makes me want to go back to France... NOW!
Looks like you had fun!
beauty...
You're open, Claire. That's why life finds you. (A good reminder to me to remain so.)
xo
erin
ye gods, these are beautiful, claire! and I use "ye, gods" admiringly, mind you. somehow, the doors opening to the heads of lettuce (or what I believe is some variety of lettuce) is my favorite shot. a little secret garden. such loveliness. and so much delight. all those colorful doors. America needs to have more painted doors. That much I know.
with that, goodnight from iowa...
I'm so thrilled by your French journey! your pics all speak of beauty of nature, quiet and happy friendship...
i'm glad you're taking us along!
à bientôt!
:-)
what a beautiful feast in photos, I slowly scroll through and drink each gift in...reading of your deep friendship was a sweet desert.
...makes me want to go on an adventure! beautiful photos, as always!
Beautiful images of where I live and work.
Wish you had come and introuduced yourself in our restaurant along the canal from Le Somail (see website) - c'est tres bon la!
Maybe next time.
beautiful!
Boy Claire...this trip is truly captivating and exciting and fun and smart. France by boat, by bike, docking, the locks, peddle pushing and perfectly paced, at once in awe, yet part of the fabric. Just great.
You have a definite fascination with architecture, doors and bicycles. I love the postbox and the bell... and all the others. The world through your eyes is truly beautiful and I am lucky enough to see it like that here!
Owww this is gorgeous. And your words complete the post. Thanks for taking us along.
Post a Comment