Sunday, December 19, 2010

Italy, Orvieto, June 2010

















Everybody was talking about Orvieto. This usually means we do not go. I try and find the places that very few people, except a few older locals, are talking about. We decided to go anyhow. I almost regretted the decision when we arrived and there was a never ending escalator up the side of the mountain. I mean? An escalator in an ancient hill town. But yes, everyone, needs to see this town and especially its cathedral (Domus). The escalators are very necessary.

The Domus is first seen down a street as you approach it and at first it does not impress, but once it comes into full view it takes one's breath away. It requires time: time to sit from afar and appreciate it as a whole; time to walk close by and inspect each piece of art and the thousands of hours laid into its structure; to be silent in its belly.

I found myself mesmerised by people's reactions to it. I sat for a long while on the steps, soaking the life about me in. Calvin eventually tugged at my sleeve and motioned onwards when the rain drops started falling.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails